About Haxton

User Rating: 4 / 5

Star ActiveStar ActiveStar ActiveStar ActiveStar Inactive
 

About Haxton

 

Haxton, like Fittleton is situated on the east bank of the River Avon and just across the river from the village of Netheravon. Haxton was first recorded as 'Hakeneston' in 1172. In previous ordination’s the name is given as Hakeneston, Habeleston, and Haxton.

 

For most of its history Haxton appears to have been more populous and wealthy than Fittleton; the 1332 tax list, for instance, enters a total for Haxton more than four times that for Fittleton.

 

As late as 1817 the first Ordnance Survey map omits the name Fittleton altogether, and describes the whole settlement as Haxton. The parish church, however, lay just on the Fittleton side of the tithing boundary, and its name has prevailed for the civil parish too.

 

In 1847 an iron suspension bridge was provided to reach Netheravon from Haxton an innovative suspension structure built by Bath engineer James Dredge,, and around 1907 a brick pier and steel beam bridge was built. The bridge from Haxton to Netheravon, known to locals as “The Red Bridge” has now been replaced by a new bridge using some of the old materials to bring it in keeping with the area, but to also make it safe for modern traffic conditions.

 

The village green at Haxton is known as The Pound.

 

 

Disclaimer

The information contained on this website is for general purposes only. We make no representations or warranties of any kind on accuracy, reliability, suitability or availability of the information for any purpose.

Any reliance placed on such information is therefore strictly at the user’s own risk.

Latest News

05 December 2017
21 May 2017
©2017 Netheravon.net. All Rights Reserved. Designed By 2-inspire.com

Search